Carren Adhiambo Otieno
- Academic qualification
- PhD. Botany (Microbiology): Maseno University
- MSc. Botany (Microbiology): Maseno University
- Bed Sc. (Biology & Geography): Kenyatta University
- Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (K.C.S.E.) – Koru Girls’ High School:
- Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (K.C.P.E) – Makindu Primary School:
- Work experience
- Assistant lecturer: 2014 – to date
- Part-time lecturer- Mount Kenya University- Kakamega Branch – 2013-2014
- High School teacher: 2001 – 2012
- Certificate of participation in Capacitate East Africa- Molecular Biology Training held at Kenyatta University
- Certificate of participation in Author AID training workshop on communicating Research Findings to Policy Makers held at Nakuru Rift Valley Sports Club Kenya
- Certificate of participation in African Women in Science and Engineering (AWSE) on Biosafety communication training at Royal Orchid Hotel in Nairobi.
- Certificate of participation in an Interdisciplinary Research Conference and exhibition held at Baraton Community Training and Research Centre
- Certificate of participation in African Women in Science and Engineering (AWSE) workshop on communicating science at Royal Orchid Hotel in Nairobi.
- Certificate of participation in African Women in Science and Engineering (AWSE) workshop at Masinde Muliro University of Science and Technology
- Professional affiliation / Membership to professional bodies
- A qualified KNEC examiner of Biology
- Member of Author aid international
- A member of African Women in Bioscience in Kenya
- Protection of neglected Plants for food security and microclimate
- Promotion of indigenous and underutilized food crops through bio-resource (germplasm) collection, conservation, breeding and improvement
- Plant pathology
Development of taro leaf blight (Phytophthora colocasiae) resistant taro (Colocasiae esculenta)
- Onyango, B.O., Palapala, V.A., Arama, P.F., Wagai, S.O and Otieno, C.A. 2011. Nutritional analysis of some composted and non-composted Agricultural substrates used for Production of Kenyan Native Wood Ear Mushrooms (Auricularia auricula (L. Ex Hook.) Underw). American Journal of Food Technology.
- Onyango, B.O., Otieno, C.A and Palapala, V.A. 2012. Effect of wheat bran supplementation with fresh and composted agricultural wastes on growth of Kenyan native wood ear mushroom (Auricularia auricula) L. ex Hook.) Underw.) African journal of Biotechnology Vol. 12 (19), pp. 2692-2698.
- Otieno, C.A., Opande, G.T and Palapala, V.A. 2018. Challenges in production and management of Colocasiae esculenta (L) Schott (TARO), leaf blight disease and Biology of Phytophthora colocasiae Racib in Kenya. LAP Lambert Academic publishing pg 1-52.
- Otieno, C.A., Opande, G.T and Palapala, V.A. 2018. Evaluation of taro leaf blight disease (Phytophthora colocasiae) incidence on Kenyan and Pacific Island taro (Colocasiae esculenta) accessions in Kakamega (Western Kenya). International journal of Biosciences Vol 12. No. 6, p. 355-361.
- Otieno CA, Adema VP and Opande GT. (2019). Comparison of severity of Phytophthora colocasiae (taro leaf blight) disease on in-vivo and in-vitro Pacific-Caribbean and Kenyan taro (Colocasiae esculenta) grown in Kakamega county (Kenya). GSC Biological and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 6(2), 40-51.